Pages

Saturday, August 20, 2016

Trading Recap 8/19/16

Friday was a meh day overall. There was some good trading in the morning (though they were losers) and there was some stuff like FOMO that I caught myself on which ended up being great.

ACIA: I had felt that after yesterday's squeeze that it would be a good fader. I borrowed shares and was interested in any pattern/pop/lower highs. I got a nhod rejection so shorted into that and that was a good entry. it flushed and instead of adding there I waited for it to peak vwap. It peaked at that time so I added in. Instead of fading off it consolidated and looked like an ABCD pattern so I covered the add for flat and kept my initial position. It went up and I covered for a small loss. Overall this was good trading. Later in the day it consolidated the same way as before so I thought it could run again so when I felt it would get going I got some long after it reclaimed vwap and it did push a tiny bit but couldn't get through the $117s and it had no followthrough so I sold it for flat. Afterwards though it looked weak and I realized it was the first time it had trouble breaking out and so this might be time for a short. I shorted when it looked weak and felt confident about this. I added when it broke the uptrend line it had for the day and then added in to pretty decent size but unfortunately the bell saved it and I covered for a tiny gain. I was a bit late with my last add to double my size but I thought we could get a quick wash into the close but that didn't happen.


CXW: I was hoping for a washout long for this but was also expecting a gap and go as well. At the open, 19.25 was absorbing a lot but I thought it could crack that and wash out which it did. I was interested in a long if it reclaimed $19. It did and I got long small 1/4 size and I would add if .30s held. I heard some news that I thought was horrible (still not sure what I heard) so I got out when it flushed just to be safe. It made a new low on big volume but then came back and reclaimed - a good long setup. I should have noticed that but I guess subconsciously I was done with the stock after that. Part of me thought that they would screw around since no one really knew what was going to happen but instead it broke out after consolidating. Something to keep in mind for next time.


DWTI: I was looking for a drop in oil initially so I was interested in long dwti. My idea was to go on dips/pops on crude. I saw a nice drop in dwti and pop in crude but didn't take it due to wanting confirmation. That would have been a nice entry and with 5 shares I have to stop being a pussy and just go for it. I eventually got in due to FOMO and got a bad entry of course near the highs and stopped out as crude had a spike higher so I sold the bottom of that candle and it promptly came back but just screwed around. Then afterwards DWTI looked like a good short setup and crude had a higher low in that consolidation area so I thought it could go higher so I shorted on the pop to the prior support on DWTI and crude had a spike up and DWTI flushed and I got a good add entry but I was looking for a couple of points in dwti at a minimum and it just came back and it was like crude stuffed so I got out for flat which was a good choice since it never went higher and just screwed around. I should have had a better plan for this. I saw crude was in a consolidation area and should have only played it when it picked a direction and not bother with the chop.


VRX: I was looking for a long setup on this and in the morning I saw it was holding that support level. I had my eye on other things and it just spiked up. I was looking for a higher low to get in as I didn't want to chase and it never came. It did consolidate a bit before going green and pushing higher which was a potential area of interest but I never did it. It did work and it did go to new highs. I saw the flag pattern break and while it was definitely FOMO I did want to see if the flag break at this level worked so I got a small amount of shares. I ended up almost top ticking my buy and just sold as it had no followthrough. The second flag seems to be the top on a lot of names so it is something to note.


ADS: This had a Cintron report come out and these usually squeeze back so I was looking to buy. It had a pattern I saw where a level has support on one candle, it washes underneath it, and then it reclaims that specific level with the next candle. So I had a bid in the low 195s but never got filled unfortunately. I then put an alert at 199 since that is when the alert came out and if it got there then all those who shorted would be down and I would look to get long. When it hit I got long and then added as it broke out looking for a couple point move. It never did much so I got out for flat and then it just screwed around. I drew a trendline and thought it might be interesting if it broke that but when I did I never bothered. It went up almost a $1 so not much.


SGY: I missed the initial move as I didn't have it on watch but I kept it on watch for the later part of the day. I saw it was perking and reclaimed vwap so I went long small with the hope to add on higher lows. That never happened and it stuffed through the resistance and then it flushed a little back lower and then I got out after giving it a little time after that. Similar setup to ACIA where it couldn't breakout.


SPHS: I was interested in this for potential EOD run but got pure FOMO and bought near the top. Luckily, I got out for flat after realizing my stupidity and said I could get in on a higher low. It instead faded and where I bought was the top.

Things to work on:
1. Same things as mentioned previously. No FOMO, don't fear losses, no chasing.
2. A lot of plays you are going in just because you can. The losses are small but they can add up and are not worth the emotional headache. Stop trying to nail everything that can possibly move in either direction. Focus on what you are really excited about to trade and that's it.
3. Keep looking at stocks in play for a potential pattern to setup like CXW

No comments:

Post a Comment