Pages

Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Trading Recap 8/17/16

The green streak has ended for me but that just means it's time to start another. I learned a lot from today's trading (that seems to happen on Wednesdays). A lot of mistakes and I will do a comprehensive review of what I have learned so far that will cement what I do going forward.

VIPS: I was interested in this due to the chinese names pulling back and all of them having gone parabolic on the daily. I was looking for lower highs/failed follow through. I went according to my plan but this was a case of adding too quickly and chasing the add on the breakdown. While it would have been a loss irregardless, it would have been less of a loss had I waited for the retest. The plan was solid, the execution not so much.


SKYS: I shorted after it looked like it stuffed since a lot of these fade nicely from this pattern. I again added too quickly and it made me cover my add to full size quickly right before it tanked. Instead of taking it off right away, I should have looked to add later on when it peaked vwap and then let it work. I keep adding quickly because the share size is nothing but small gain > big loss. Then later on I chased the short after it looked like it stuffed again. Sure it could have worked but again I added way too quick and ended up erasing my gains from it earlier. This was also a FOMO trade as well as I could have waited for any pops to short which never happened really. I should have just let it alone and let it peak appropriately then get in for a backside fade. This is what I wanted to do later in the day when it dropped and peaked and failed. It would have been a nice fade to capture but I never did. I might have spooked myself out of it from earlier trades.


CRK: I should have waited for a trend to get long this as this was a similar play to NBY that didn't work. I should have realized that the reverse splits weren't working like they were and they were good shorts instead. If they would have gone, they would have formed a trend at least. But overall it was a tiny loss and I didn't add much to it. I did add at a bad spot when it looked to be going green which looked to be the top. I have to be patient again on my adds and wait for pops/dips to add along the way.


MOMO: I looked to short this like VIPS with an failed momentum/lower highs. I let it move around at the open until it peaked r/g and had a lower high at the prior resistance. I then got in with risk to that resistance and then added when it broke down and would only go full size on a confirmed retest. It ended up screwing around on low volume so I decided to get out for breakeven before it popped and ran. I just didn't feel it was worth it and my intuition was right. Was it per my plan exactly? No but I had a feeling it wasn't worth it. Only time will tell if my intuition is correct or not.


TWLO: I was short biased and looking for a fade as it closed weak and I thought the squeeze was over. However, if it held trend then it could have also been a long so I was open both ways. I originally saw it when it was peaking vwap in the morning after coming back from its move. It seemed like a similar pattern to yesterday's action before the drop but I decided against it. Had I used a trendline and realize the uptrend was over, it provided a nice short opportunity. Instead I tried shorting at random points and both times I actually went in I realized it was a stupid FOMO trade with no edge and decided to take them off for flat or small losses. There was no sense of risk or anything in the trades. If I miss the move, then I miss it and that's it. What could have worked was shorting it a bit later for the first trade after it peaked and failed to go green. My initial idea was to short it when it tried to go green but I got a stupid entry and didn't feel confident in the trade overall.


OCLR: This was extended on the daily chart and so when I saw a nice consolidation pattern at the lows I got in on the breakdown and added when it made new lows since the risk was tight. It just fucked around and didn't do much so I put a stop for breakeven and it got me out for flat. Overall, nothing to say about this trade.


VRX: I had a small hunch this could continue higher but used very small size with plans to add in if it confirmed but it never did and it didn't look as good as I was in the trade so I got out for flat. I did buy an actual dip with reduced size and it did work out ok even though it was a flat trade.


ACIA: I monitored it throughout the day but didn't really have a bias on it. I did see it reclaim in the afternoon but it had such low volume that I didn't want to bother. However, if things don't go down they only have one way to go. I saw the bull flag towards the end of the day before the big run and didn't see it when it triggered as my attention was on other stocks but it would have been a great win. I tried shorting what I thought was the top on really super tiny size and I stopped out quickly and never touched it after.



Other stocks:
EBIO: It was the day after the sell the news so I thought it would be a good short and it was from the open.

CYCC: I saw a similar pattern to YRD with the consolidation but never took it for a short. It would have been a nice fade had I been patient with it.

Things to work on:
1. Be patient with adding - small gain > big loss
2. Be patient with winner in certain circumstances - recycle shares?
3. No FOMO
4. Use simpler patterns - trendlines etc
5. Your plan or nothing -> THESIS + CONFIRMING P/A = TRADE AND ONLY THEN
6. Go small with entry then add in
7. Wait for the setup

No comments:

Post a Comment