Pages

Sunday, September 11, 2016

Trading Recap 9/9/16

Friday was a meh day. It was a small losing day but I am glad I had it because it reminded me of the importance of giving things enough room to work. Wednesday and Thursday the winners I had worked right away for the most part after a try or two. But Friday's main loser was due to the stock chopping around and me continually trying to find the time where it would drop and make new lows. So I gave it a tight stop and let it keep stopping me out when I should have given it more room/used less size. There were some missed opportunities with the market overall going lower and some other stocks like MOMO that I had partially taken off radar.

CLCD: This was my only gainer for the day. After it had run up and had good strength after the offering, I was interested if it reclaimed the 22.20/30 area of support in hopes that it washed out any sellers and then would go higher. I bought when it consolidated above the support area. While I didn't have huge confidence in the idea, I did think it had a decent shot of going higher. I almost got out when it dipped lower but I said my risk was .20 over/under and vwap as well. It did go below but never peaked. It then shot straight up and made new highs. I saw it was absorbing at 23 after it broke out so I added since it was a similar scenario to how it broke out on Tuesday. Different circumstances though. I did want to be patient and not sell right away as I thought it could go higher but it never did and once it broke under $23 again I started to ditch the add and then the initial too. I did this because I was looking for more followthrough right away on this type of play and so when it dipped I just got out. It did go lower afterwards so it wasn't bad. Later on I saw it kept stuffing under vwap so I changed my bias and it fit with the failed breakout I was in earlier. I shorted near $25 with risk to vwap over/under and it broke under $22 but it started absorbing a huge amount of shares so I got out right afterwards. It did offer a nice scalp short but it didn't do much after that.


WATT: This was the main loser and what I was talking about in the intro. Going into the day I saw the gap down and it was day 3 so I didn't think there would be a trade here and figured it would bounce a little. However, it stayed heavy and after the small bounce it made new lows which got me interested. I saw it went all the way to vwap so I shorted after it broke down. I didn't get the best entry but I just wanted to get in since I figured it would keep going lower. I didn't bother to see the nearby support and the fact that I was shorting right near it. That was the first mistake by just wanting to get in no matter what, having FOMO, and not seeing I was shorting right at support. I covered when it went past vwap. After it came back under vwap, I shorted it again since that usually works on this stock and it did go lower for a bit but then came right back so I covered for flat and said forget it. After it went under vwap again I shorted it again hoping for this time to see a crack. This time I gave it too small of a risk of .30 over/under when it should just be vwap over/under. I covered right at vwap and then it went lower but didn't break down and just shot right back up. Overall I got stuck in the chop and either should have just had one trade on it and never stopped out or just avoid it. Either way it was a good lesson in not getting FOMO, giving things enough room, and keeping the bigger picture in mind.


APVO: This was a recent IPO and I thought it looked like the type that could squeeze and go higher. It did get a price target raise by a legit shop so that was something as well. I saw it had absorbed a lot of shares when it tried to break down and it immediately came back above vwap so I got in. I did get in on a pop which wasn't good - I got in because there was a huge ask that was getting eaten and so I wanted to get in front of it but it didn't break out right away. It stayed around vwap so I held on and then it spiked up. I thought this was confirmation of my idea so when I thought it was holding the .90 area as support I decided to add in. It didn't have any followthrough so I sold the add right away and then ditched the initial for flattish. It ended up fading the rest of the day. It was worth a shot and it was a very tiny loss but I should have waited for more confirmation of it holding up after it spiked before adding in.


LXRX: There were positives about this stock overall. I didn't know what to do with it in the morning so I let it do its thing and I wanted to see if I saw anything interesting. It had a fake breakout on volume in the morning but I didn't want to short that since that didn't mean that was the top. It kept holding on and then it broke $19. I was close to buying the breakout but I wanted to wait and also that was resistance. It ended up flushing right after breaking $19 so it was good not to buy the breakout. It just hovered for a while and what I didn't see was the volume stuffs and failed breakout attempts later in the day that preceeded a nice washout. I would have shorted the stuff for sure had I seen it but I didn't. It had a washout on volume but started to head lower again so as the $18 bid was getting eaten I shorted there in the hopes that it would have another nice washout for a scalp at least. I figured there were a lot of stuck longs and I recalled what CLCD did. This unfortunately didn't have any followthrough and since I hate shorting these breakdowns I just covered right after it broke above $18 again. I didn't want to get stuck in it and I was looking for more immediate downside. It was either going to work or it wasn't. While it could have definitely perked a bit then went lower I didn't want to take a chance with it so I got out.


Things to work on:
1. Give things enough room and be true to stops.
2. Keep bigger picture in mind.
3. No FOMO and look at support/resistance to make sure you know where you are shorting.
4. Don't be in a rush to add.

No comments:

Post a Comment