Pages

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Trading Recap 9/20/16

Today was a frustrating day. Definitely some avoidable losses and some unavoidable. Some huge misses of course as well. Didn't hit my downside so it wasn't too bad of a day.

AERI: I guess I tried to keep fighting this. I did get good entries each time and stopped out each time for a small loss but the losses just compounded as I kept trying. I really should have waited for a vwap peak to signify it could go down. Had I done that I wouldn't have touched it. Perhaps the first entry or two on the stufs were ok but after that I should have figured if it hasn't gone down by now then today's not the day and stop trying. Lesson: Wait for vwap or listen to the chart. You should have avoided it after it was holding it up but you kept wanting to nail it and be there for the move lower even though it wasn't probable to happen given it was up so much today. You tried to predict instead of react and thus you failed. At least you didn't short it right at the open when it looked to have peaked vwap then. You waited but you should have just kept waiting and never played it once over vwap.


CANF: I was short biased from the open. I wanted it to go higher and stuff before coming back down based on the daily chart candles from when it usually gaps. However this time it was pretty weak. I shorted after it had a nice volume candle after not shorting at the open. I got a bad fill but added when it popped again around the same price. It flushed and I added on the retest but it seemed to be holding and not just going down so I thought maybe that was it so I started getting out and was flat on the name by the end of it. Ideally, I should have just shorted at the open and risk to 3 then either add there or add lower on that volume spike. I should have been more patient with it and let it come back down instead of freak out that it popped a little. I could have gotten a fill in the high 50s instead on the cover. Lesson: On these you can short at the open and risk to premarket highs if need be or lower on pops. Also, once it flushes and confirms, don't just panic out the moment it bounces a little. Give these some time - you know that.


ASNA: I had this on short watch due to earnings and everything lined up as far as guidance lowered etc. I waited for the setup which was good. My first and second entries were good. I shorted when it got back under vwap and peaked. I then added when support broke. My third add was bad as it was near support/lows. It ended up coming back up and I covered when it held a higher low on that bad add and kept the first two. I then got rid of the rest as it looked like it reclaimed prior levels. It still peaked vwap though so perhaps it was bad. Either way it consolidated for most of the day. Where I highlighted the oval was a very good short opportunity as that is a pattern that works very often with low risk and good reward. I didn't see it though. Lesson: Don't add too fast like that especially into support. Hindsight says to give the stock more room to work. I guess I could have done that. Although I probably would have stopped out on that higher high later on before it came back down.


SRPT: I didn't have any thesis and wasn't sure about it for most of the morning so I avoided it as there were better plays out there. However once it tried to break out and then came back and held the prior resistance I figured that was it so I shorted. I didn't have much confidence and while it worked for a scalp it came back and i had put my stop to breakeven. It got triggered and then it fell even more but then came right back. I wouldn't have covered on the flush and would have been patient so it didn't matter in the long run but on something like this you have to give it room. Anyway later on it went below vwap. I was debating if I should short it here since a lot of these have just gone back to reclaim vwap and go higher anyway. I put in an order to short since I figured it was a failed breakout from before and longs were stuck. However, I thought I could get a better price/didn't feel right about it and as I was about to cancel the order I got filled so I stuck with it. It then of course reclaimed vwap and I got out. I should have went long instead as these work a good majority of the time. Lesson: For the first trade I guess it was ok given the thesis etc but given I didn't want to give it that much room I shouldn't have bothered anyway. While I should have waited for under vwap, obviously that would have been a good long in this circumstance. The other lesson is to go long these vwap dip and rips.


ARIA: I saw the stuff and it was an overextended chart so I shorted then added when it broke under some support. The plan was to add if it peaked vwap. That never happened and instead I got out for flat after some fishy level 2 action and it holding vwap. No lesson here overall decent trade just didn't work.


Things to work on:
1. No what if scenarios - you were better with this today but still needs work. Remain in the present!
2. Be reactive and not predictive!!
3. Don't think about the money! Slowly you are getting there.
4. Don't add so quick especially into support/resistance.
5. Go long on the vwap dip and rips.
6. On the low floaters, if it doesn't pop at the open just short at the open and give it to premarket highs.
7. Be patient on the low floaters even if they fuck around for a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment