Pages

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Trading Recap 4/20/15

Lost a decent amount today when it turned out I was right all along, I just stopped out too many times before what I anticipated had happened.

White arrows are entries followed by exits.

BIOC: I thought I was shorting the backside of the move on this POS name but it still ended up ripping. I saw that the line in the sand $2.8s were now peaking which confirmed to me that the backside was underway. I shorted 2.8 with 2.8 over/under risk. As you can see from the chart below, 2.8s reclaimed and I stopped out around 2.87, which was a good idea since it continued to rip further and it set up as an abcd pattern.

VIMC: This is the stock that I was talking about in the intro. Initially, I wanted to short it but I wanted to see how it reacted in the days prior and I saw that a couple of days ago it setup almost exactly the same and it continued higher instead. After some volume came in I decided to get long 100 shares with risk on 11.9. I then saw that it was holding up in a flag formation and decided to go to 300 shares with risk on 12.1 (tight stop). Of course, I ended up getting stopped out on my shares. But then I saw it slightly breaking out of its flag and went long on the breakout only 100 shares with risk on the prior low of 12.05. Well, I got stopped out of that too and I guess it shook out the weak hands because it ripped afterwards. It is a bit frustrating to be honest because I try to limit losses to around 2% of my ever-dwindling account so that is around $20. So I bought the breakout at 12.27 and put my stop around 12.05 and it touched it and went a few cents lower and then went up the rest of the day. Of course the right stop is 12 over/under (letting it test under 12 if need be) but that can become risky for me if it just tanks and I take a much bigger loss which has happened before. There is probably nothing for me to do in this situation especially since for the second trade I took the smallest amount of shares I could take (100).

First photo is of the chart I saw a couple days ago.

Chart I traded (First two arrows are adds with the following being a stop out on all shares followed by another entry and then stop out):


Things to work on:

I am not sure if there is anything I necessarily did wrong besides stop out. Of course if I just went with my original 100 shares it  would have worked and a small gain is better than the losses I had. I just felt that 100 shares was so small and I wanted to add into what I thought would be a winning trade. I guess the takeaway is again not trying to force a trade on the stock given my small account. So, if the proper stop is 12 over/under and that means I can only take 100 shares well then I have to take 100 shares I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment