Pages

Friday, February 20, 2015

Trading Recap 2/20/15

Today was an interesting day for me. I had both my highest realized gain and loss within the same day with the Suretrader account so far. Some lessons have been learned and the market has humbled me yet again.

HALO: I closed my HALO swing from 14.78 to 15.48, which for now seems like the top. It tried many times to get over 50 but it didn't and after this morning's big flush I had enough of this whippy stock. The funny part of this is that I thought I bought at .75 so I put my stop there for breakeven a couple of days and it ended up going to 14.76 before coming back up. If I had put my stop correctly, I would have stopped out and I wouldn't have had this gain. I am glad that I was able to stay patient through all of its choppiness though. It kept going below 15 but then the dips were being bought back up so it was still holding as support. Yesterday after the decent afternoon move I put my stop at 15.2 but then canceled it after seeing some aftermarket bids around there and I didn't want it to trigger. This morning there was a huge flush to 15 and I just thought "great.." but it was unreal how it just came back after that huge flush. This has definitely been a headache and it might even go higher but I think I got a good chunk of the move and I would be hating myself if I didn't sell at .50 and it just came back down from there.


CONN: This was a real eye opener for me. I thought this would be my biggest gainer yet and it turned out to be my worst. It had the perfect setup for a short squeeze. Huge short float (above 40%) and it didn't come down after a big move up but rather consolidated with higher lows towards a whole number. I saw the gap up this morning and move past 26 so I bought in at $26.12 and I gave it a wide stop at 25.48. It might have been too wide but I really believed in the chart. It spiked up more after my entry but then came right down. It didn't do much for the rest of the day. However, it is still making higher lows so I will definitely keep this on watch because I still believe this can have a huge short squeeze. I might buy some if the trend holds before it potentially breaks out. This experience has humbled me a bit though because as I said I thought this would be my biggest gain yet but it ended up being my biggest loser so far.

THRX: A small loss for me that probably shouldn't have happened. I saw that this stock was experiencing a huge squeeze on what looks like not spectacular earnings. However, I saw that it was holding trend this entire time and that dips were being bought up this whole time. Originally I only looked for a parabolic to short into but after it broke the support at .77 and started peaking there I decided to get short. However, it kept holding .68 and when it started to come back over .77 I took it off. I think this was a case of not wanting to miss out on a potential play even though I think I knew it wasn't a good trade. When I got in and after a few minutes I realized, there is not that much reward for even the small amount of risk. I'll keep this on watch though, I think this can fade nicely.



Lessons:

1. Don't think you know more than the market and always be humble. Don't assume a stock will be a huge gainer for you just right away.
2. Look at the big picture for trend and don't fight it just because you might miss a trade.

No comments:

Post a Comment